Tom McCook Workshops - Feb 1-2, 2020
Tom McCook - Balance The Pelvis, Legs and Feet with the Franklin Method and Pilates
Saturday, February, 1, 2020, 10:30 am - 5:30 pm
Take a deep dive into the amazing human design to gain valuable insight for your health, teaching and movement practice. In this 6-hour workshop you will gain experiential knowledge and practical understanding of the dynamic relationship between the pelvis, legs and feet in movement to support lifelong well being.
Humans have the unique design of having a mobile pelvis, which creates 3D force absorption for efficient movement on two legs. Through, imagery, touch, interactive lecture and movement learn how to improve function, fitness and efficient movement potential.
We will combine the Franklin Lesson with conditioning exercises with Franklin balls, the Pilates Reformer, Chair and Wall Unit. Learn to improve your teaching skills and get the most benefit from your movement practice!
- Demonstrate and teach the dynamic relationship of the pelvis, legs and feet in hip flexion and extension for optimal alignment, movement efficiency and health using imagery and touch.
- Learn and understand the mechanics of the foot using anatomical models and touch, how it dynamically moves and how the foot is constantly transitioning from a foundation structure to a lever.
- Embody, understand and practice teaching the relationships of the pelvis, legs and feet and muscular action for improved alignment, strength, flexibility, balance and optimal movement efficiency.
Tom McCook - Gait: Improving What We Do Most Through Our Work on the Mat
Sunday, February 2, 2020, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Three Dimensional Joint Mobility and Myofascial Loading for Gait with Pilates Mat!
As our understanding of the incredible intelligence of the human body expands, new insights and more accurate modeling can be used to better direct our movement training. Based on the Anatomy in Motion model from creator Gary Ward, this workshop will guide you in exploring new concepts in improving gait while using the Franklin Method to enhance our embodiment and understanding in movement.
In this 3-hour workshop you'll explore and practice:
- How to incorporate these concepts into Pilates Mat exercises and cueing.
- How the joints move in all 3 planes multiple times in the gait cycle and how to put movement back in where it's been lost.
- How the pelvis, spine, ribcage and head move in relationship to each other during the gait cycle and how to practice these movements in all 3 planes.
- Why the myofascial system needs to lengthen before it can shorten.
- How to load muscles and fascia as they lengthen to improve function, dynamic alignment and relate it back to the feet, the kinetic chain and gait cycle.
- The counter rotations between the spine and pelvis in gait and how to include them in Pilates Mat work.
- How to give the brain the opportunity to register a different choice while standing and reinforcing this new feedback.
- The relationship with the feet, pelvis and spine in hip flexion, extension and gait.
Tom McCook - Strength, Ease and Balance in the Shoulder Girdle, Neck & Thorax
Sunday, February 2, 2020, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Combining the Franklin Method And Pilates Repertoire
Experience, understand and teach optimum function using the Pilates repertoire and the Franklin method for health and performance in this 3-hour workshop. You will learn through touch, movement and interactive lecture, the bone and muscle relationships of the shoulder girdle, cervical and thoracic spine for tension release, postural improvements, strength, flexibility and more efficient organized movement. We will combine the lessons with related Pilates repertoire and corrective exercises of the Mat, Reformer, Tower and Chair for a dynamic learning experience.
- To teach experiential anatomy in a Pilates session for optimal learning and performance.
- To improve cuing and assessment skills through improved understanding of function.
- To refine and practice cuing that matches the human design.
- Teach exercise progressions on the Reformer Tower, Chair, and Mat with greater skill.
- To use imagery, concentration and understanding of function to support health.
- To improve each participants personal practice and well-being.
- 1-Day (either Saturday OR Sunday) $240
- 2-Day (both Saturday and Sunday) $425
with Erin Myers of Spiral Spine
Saturday, October 3, 10:30am-5:30pm
Sunday, October 4, 9:00am-4:00pm
Experience Erin's unique approach to analyzing a scoliotic body using analytical tools that will help you understand the complexities of spinal curvatures and rotations.
Erin combines current medical research that reinforces the benefits of movement for scoliosis, and creatively intertwines these findings with the specific Pilates exercises that are effective for scoliosis. Convex and concave muscles are explored in depth, along with typical areas of musculature that affect the spine.
You'll learn how to test a client's strength and flexibility in these areas, in addition to mastering exercises that can create bilateral symmetry in a scoliotic back. The emotional aspects of scoli will also be covered, giving you the tools to educate and inspire your clients.
- Learn ways to structure a scoliosis client's initial lesson and integrate a scoliosis client into a group class setting
- Includes a scoliosis-focused Mat and/or Reformer Pilates class
- Learn how to effectively work with leg length discrepancy, osteoporosis, hypermobility, back bracing and spinal fusion surgery
- Explore a variety of real-life, scoliosis case studies
October 3-4, 2020